Saturday, April 19, 2008

Records

I see in today's yahoo news that it is Record Store Day. Now that is something to celebrate! Records. Vinyls large and small. I can almost see myself standing at the popular record shop of my early teen years, reading the Billboard top one hundred and flipping through the racks of paper jacketed 45s. When I was lucky enough to have babysat and earned a dollar, that is where it would be spent, on a newly released record with a big hole in the middle. Even in the eighties I was still shopping for 45s at a certain record store because we had acquired a wonderful old jukebox, and I needed to add some current songs along with my oldies. Then in the early nineties, I bought a couple of records in a dusty old record shop in Nashville. After that, I could find no more record stores. We eventually sold the jukebox, and CDs, downloading songs, and iPods replaced the other record players. But with all of my paring down and discarding, I have never let go of my hundreds of 45s. They are a cultural treasure. Happy Record Store Day!


No comments: