Sunday, April 20, 2008

No Fear

Did you hear the one about...Why do people read the Bible so much more as they get older? Because they are cramming for the finals.

This week my students turned in a paper, Older Adult Assessment, and with one particular person addressed such topics as physical description, lifestyle, health history, the impact of aging on the quality of their lives, relationships, and fears/concerns for the future. Like the old folks in the joke, these interviewees had by this time become people of faith. "I leave it to an all wise God," "I'm a Christian. I know where I'm going," "My faith will get me through anything," they were quoted in answer to the fears of the future question. It must be hard to be headed to the end of our time here on earth, that hidden expiration date, and not know the peace that faith brings.

Better to have crammed for the finals than never to have studied at all.

No comments: