Friday, April 4, 2008

The MHC

Shame on me. I have been a psych nurse for many years but I had never been to a mental health center before this week. I will be taking a group of nursing students to the one here for three more weeks, and it will be a learning experience not only for them but for me as well. I had no idea of all the services they provide and the good staff there. Working in a certain field predisposes us to networking within that area, and I ran into several people I have known in the past including one respected nurse whom I had not seen in twenty years.

When a hospitalized patient is discharged, follow up is needed. Some psych patients have follow up with a private psychiatrist but many go to a mental health center. Conversely MHC patients come to the hospital when they are in crisis for one reason or another. I have heard patients grouse about the Mental Health Center complaining it does no good or that they can't see the doctor, but I realize these are the patients who are not agreeable or able to do their part in treatment or who want to call all the shots regarding their care. The services are there for the willing and sometimes for the unwilling. Staff will see to it that many chronic patients get their meds.

The area we went to was for people who have a chronic mental illness, mostly schizophrenia, and who are disabled because of it. The MHC provides transportation to and from, groups, support, a warm place, and lunch. Other services - and I know only a few at this time - are for teenagers with drug or emotional problems, a telephone service for people who call in and need to talk or get information, medication assistance and management, and childcare education for young single mothers. The MHC was much better and had more to offer than I had imagined.

No comments: