Thursday, April 10, 2008

Babies in the Yard

When it is spring and pretty outside, I get in a picture taking mood. I walk around my unintentionally naturalized backyard looking for photo ops. As I was scouting about today and figuring there must be snakes in the ivy and honeysuckle, a big brown cottontail rabbit hopped out of its hiding place and into my view, and sat quietly for a moment as if he were appraising his situation. I often see rabbits scurrying across the lawn at night as my headlights hit the driveway, but never have I seen one in the day and so up close! I imagined a nest of little bunnies in a hollow in the base of a tree, a home my unkempt yard is providing. There are plant babies, too, and perennials such as this youthful hosta vigorously popping up to add beauty to the world for another season.

No comments: