Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Horton's Wisdom

Last week I went with my son and grandchildren to see the cute movie Horton Hears a Who. Is it a message movie? Possibly. Dr. Seuss could have had several in mind. It did relate to one way I keep myself in perspective. I remind myself that I am only one of six and a half billion people currently alive on our planet, and that Earth really is just a speck spinning in the universe. How can I take myself so seriously when I know that! Yet we are special, too, at least to someone. And though we all have the same type of body parts, the same needs, and experience the same feelings at some time or another, we human beings are all recognizably different by our appearances, voices, our genetic material, no two of us alike. How amazing! Yet in the context of space, we are invisible. A conundrum of sorts. Horton wasn't deeply philosophical either. He just knew that no matter how small, each living thing was important.

No comments: