Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Has America Lost Its Sense of Humor?

With anti-depressants being the most popular drugs on the market, you would think people would be happier. But even here in this nice southern town, there is a lot of grumpiness. And from what I see on the news, the rest of America is pretty grumpy, too. Gee...a person can't even say what's on her mind anymore without some entitled person or organized group demanding an apology for the truth when it is spoken. Can't some statements or opinions be laughed about, taken light-heartedly, or at least agreed with? "Yep! I sure am!" I would like to hear a politician reply. Do any of these entitled humans really think they are so perfect? Why do people take themselves so seriously that they can't take a little ribbing for individual behaviors that makes them unique? I was thinking how my co-worker and friend Michelle good naturedly mimics me at times, speaking in a wispy voice that she thinks sounds like mine. I consider it flattering and find it interesting to see how someone else perceives me. But it made me consider the national news reports of many public figures being up in arms when such a thing is done to them. Maybe that sort of behavior contributes to the heaviness I now feel as an American.

No comments: