Thursday, February 28, 2008

Seeking Balance

I intended only to refer to nursing diagnoses when I did yesterday's blog, but got carried away with memories of Abdellah. My apologies. But in the early eighties under that kitchen light, she managed to tattoo a few words on my brain: "...the balance of rest, sleep and activity." It is when I have gotten myself unbalanced that I think of it. My sleep and activity have been in the normal range lately, but it is rest that I lack. My best rest comes in the morning before I officially get up. It is then, when I am awake and quietly contemplative, that I become refreshed. That trait is in my original blueprint. When I have to get up at the crack of dawn for several days in a row and lose my early morning rest, weariness will soon take over. It is not too hard to get out of balance with sleep or work, too much or too little. That has happened to me, too. But rest is neither sleep nor work. It is a necessary in between state that is good for the mind and body. Balance doesn't come naturally.

No comments: