Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Church

I got engrossed in Charles Stanley's, pastor at First Baptist Church Atlanta, straightforward sermon today on television and was almost late to my own church. Besides the focus on salvation, there seems to be a lot of fellowship in Baptist churches. I like that. I also like the studiousness and intellectual pursuits of spiritual matters within the Presbyterian churches I have been a part of. The Book of Common Prayer used in the Episcopal Church as well as their weekly communions can give me joy. I picture Pentecostals as passionate and energetic. Each different denomination, all parts of the body of Christ, have slightly different angles or emphasis on the Christian experience. They appeal to different personalities as well as different sociocultural groups. That is a good thing. Everyone has a place, and anyone can be a part. Just as our physical bodies need all of our parts - feet, hands, ears, eyes - the Christian body also needs and uses all of its parts. As I sat in my church today, I knew that I was where I was supposed to be. Only God knows what part of the body it is, but I am glad to be a tiny cell somewhere in the greater body.

No comments: