Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Other Part of My Work

Another part of my work is with patients who are addicted to alcohol or drugs. For some reason, it doesn't seem as interesting to me as psychiatry, and I fail to mention it or identify myself as a substance abuse nurse. Yet I am. Some hospital units treat alcoholics and addicts along with the psychiatric patients. Some have separate units. Separate is better. Often mentally ill people become drug or alcohol dependent in attempts to self medicate, but some addictions are pure addictions. When I was a new nurse, I observed that no matter their walk in life, the alcoholics stuck together. Many people who work with substance abusers have had addiction problems themselves. Once when I was working on a substance abuse unit, I was asked what my drug of choice was. I had to admit I was an imposter, that I was not in a recovery program. Then I felt invalidated, as if what did I know. However I do know how to recognize withdrawal signs and when to medicate for them. I can encourage patients to attend AA and give positive feedback as they admit their powerlessness over the substance, but otherwise...I haven't been there. It is amazing how much addicts go through before they submit to help. Their denial takes on a life of its own.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Unfortunately, their denial IS their life for the most part.