Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Morning's Snapshot

Two years ago when I learned that Whole Foods Market was coming to Greenville, was I excited. Being somewhat of a foodie, I had delighted in visiting them after my discovery in Tempe, Arizona. Ours has now been open for about a year and a half and I always enjoy the visit. I went primarily for their good eggs this morning, but you know how that goes. I got my cart and took a good whiff of the pleasant mix of smells. Then I passed the flowers and remembered the lucky shots I got in BiLo on Valentine's Day. I took out my little Canon and snapped a picture of some richly hued roses. They made irresistably lovely subjects standing so compliantly in their galvanized containers. The flower girl apparently noticed the flash and made me aware I was breaking one of their rules. No photography allowed in the store. I protested by saying that I had taken several photographs in their flagship store in Austin last year without being arrested, but she just shook her head and, I felt, wagged her finger. "NoNo." In shame, the offending Elph was put away. I am sure they have their reasons. I gathered my free range eggs and a few other items, sampled some orange juice and elderberry tonic and headed to the checkout line. At the cash register, I heard music playing that was not quite good enough for radio. "Is that live music?" The clerk thought so. After paying I headed into the dining area rather than outside and sat and listened to the musicians, a middle-aged couple who looked like the yin and yang of each other. Her raspy but pleasant voice sang "This can't be love" while she strummed her guitar. He played the conga drums and added a vocal that sounded just like a clarinet. It was a few minutes of pleasant entertainment. Now I have shared my little experience and must head off to my work in the hospital. Such is life . . .

No comments: