Monday, November 5, 2007

Veggie zuppa du jour

The season changes bring different at home cuisines. One food to enjoy in the fall and winter is vegetable soup. My life as a cook has produced many steaming savory pots, no two alike. Yesterday's version was uncomplicated and yummy. My mother made delicious vegetable soup, and I find that it is hard to produce a pot of vegetable soup that is not incredibly tasty to the soul as well as the body. This is the way it went.

I sauteed til soft a thinly sliced white onion, diced celery, and minced fresh garlic in some good organic olive oil. Before the garlic browned, I added about two cups of water and a large Knorr beef boullion cube. (The vegetable boullion could be used to make it vegetarian.) I peeled and sliced carrots and put them in next. While that was coming to a boil, I peeled and cubed two potatoes and put them in the pot, then added some frozen green beans. I washed and prepped some fresh parsley and spinach, and in went the green. Last I added about a cup or so of tomato juice. It simmered about 10 minutes longer and was ready to enjoy. More seasoning wasn't really necessary for my taste. It was just about the quickest vegetable soup du jour ever!

No comments: