Thursday, November 8, 2007

Gift from Nature

This sugar maple is in its glory now. It is not mine. I have graceful maples but they do not become resplendent like this beauty. Even better, it is in my neighbor's front yard so I get a full view of it each fall right out of my front window. If I were handed a beautifully wrapped present and inside was something I really wanted, I could not enjoy it any more than this gift that nature blesses me with each year through these kind people. I used to have roses bushes planted close to the street in the hopes that passersby and playing children would stop to sniff and break off a few for their own pleasure. I didn't leave a sign that said "Free Roses," but I hoped the proximity to the road was a sign that they were welcome to pick and to enjoy. Sometimes gifts are given with flair and drama but other times they are subtle and seemingly unintentional. I suspect my neighbors know how much their tree dresses up our little cul-de-sac, but in case they don't, I think I will call and thank them for the gift.

1 comment:

Judith said...

What a glorious sight........and how generous a gift from a neighbor!!