Monday, November 19, 2007

The Opening Party

The Westin Galleria and the new Del Frisco's are both a part of the Galleria, a huge mall in downtown Houston, so we just had to walk through the mall to get to the party. Nice since it was raining. It was in high gear when we got there about nine o'clock with the six piece band playing rock and roll upstairs and attractive couples dancing and holding their glasses high. Food and drink were the main attractions. Oh...and breasts. They're not just for Hollywood anymore. Servers were walking about the crowd with trays of various luscious hors d'oeuvres. I was first offered and took steak tartare on a bread crisp. Normally I would feel like a barbarian if I ate raw mammal, but I hadn't had a thing since the pecan pie that I had at work at noon. Hunger can change your values. In the wine room downstairs was a great assortment of cheeses and fruits, and in the main dining room were piles of very jumbo shrimp for the taking. Upstairs were ice sculptures, desserts in and out of chocolate shells, bars, and a dinner buffet whose meats bragged beef tenderloin and lobster tails. The chateau mashed potatoes with cayenne was my favorite. I figure "chateau," kind of homey, like mama makes but spiced up a bit. I'm a potato kind of girl. There were young women in black cocktail dresses posing as guests who offered to take your dirty dishes to the kitchen. I don't know...but when I am at work, I have to wear a name tag so I won't be mistaken for a patient. Chef Thomas said there were thirty cooks preparing the food and over one hundred servers. Now that's a serious restaurant opening! This Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House is almost identical to the one in NYC. Not only does it have marvelous food and a wine room, but interesting art, and not just one but two majestic iron handrails that go to (and from) the mezzanine. Before we left, my husband proudly toured me through the still busy, stainless steel maze of a kitchen. By that time, there weren't many guests left and the workers were packed in there, piling up their plates with leftovers. What a scene! http://www.delfriscos.com/ Check it out!

No comments: