Monday, November 12, 2007

My Veterans

A day to remember veterans. I am the daughter of a WWll veteran. Daddy was in Army intelligence and spent most of his time on a ship that traveled between America and the North Africa - Mediterranean area, at least I think so. In later years, he worked on his "book," a collection of his remembrances from "The War." The VA served him well as he aged, and he liked to sit and chat with other "old soldiers." I am the wife of a "Vietnam era" Army veteran, a real life GI Joe. The memories fight not to erupt and he is never free of them, but I think the Army remains his main love. I am the mother of an Army soldier. Trip was gung-ho at eighteen when he started Army Reserves but relieved to get out when he finished his six years af active duty. Finishing Ranger training was a big deal. We were proudly sitting in the stands that cold sunny day, and as the line of graduates, as an arc on the horizon, moved toward us, I suspected that it was Trip on the far end, the tallest of the men who were fit enough to finish the course. As he came closer, heart aflutter, I could tell for sure. Gaunt and hyperalert he was, as I pinned on his Ranger pin. I am the mother of a sailor who was in Desert Storm. This first war in the mideast was alarming to us Americans, but for Peter, it was an adventure. "If I die, I die," he wrote me. Thankfully they all made it home alive, but for some mothers, wives, and daughters, their men didn't. Today I thank you, my men and others, for serving the American military and the American people. The picture is of a Veterans Cemetery in St. Augustine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is amazing - it seems as if all the men in your life are in the military. I dont know how I would have dealt with this. While my fiance has just joked about signing up for the military, I have always given him a sturdy and serious "NO." I dont want to become a widow before we're even married. Luckily all of your soldiers came home, but I would worry everyday about his well-being, and what he was doing, if he was safe. I dont think my heart could take the daily worry.

It sounds selfish I know - but I would be proud of him if he were to serve his country, as I am proud of all our soldiers in battle, regardless if I know them or not.

Maybe you - and other wives, mothers, sisters, daughters - are just stronger than I am.