Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Day of Rest

A day of rest. What a lovely promise the words hold. How needed. A day to refresh the body, soul and mind. But I ask - when will it ever come? Or even a day to catch up on housework at my leisure? I appreciate the way my dog keeps the kitchen floor licked clean, but really, it must be mopped. Towels must be washed, leftovers in the fridge must be disposed of, leaves tracked inside must be vacuumed, and my addled brain must normalize. It won't be today. I am a nurse and it is a workday. It won't be tomorrow. I will be with my students in the clinical area. And so it goes. My only option will be to have some hours within each day for down time or home duty time, and maybe by the next weekend, I will be rejuvenated. That is not God's plan for his children, though. Out of his love for us and because he knows how we function best, he directed us to have a day of quietude and spiritual reflection each week. A day of rest and renewal. But that's another thing we have messed up. I find that like everything else, God is right. It is about every seven days that I really need a time out, and twenty-four hours is more effective than a few snatched here and there. But I am a flawed human and rationalize my errant ways, to my loss. Such is life.

No comments: