Friday, November 30, 2007

Divine Intervention

It was strangely quiet and dark when I woke up this morning. There was no hum from the heat and the digital clock sat there dark and purposeless, in stony silence, its annoying red numbers vanished. The cats were curled around my legs and we were all more than cold. Soon we reasoned the electricity must have gone off about five a.m. hmmm...Maybe there would be no hot water, no stove, no computer. How lovely! It would be a good excuse to settle back under the covers. After all, I had been waiting for my day of rest to arrive. And a lovely morning of rest it was, that is until I started craving my usual cup of something hot to drink. It was an indecent hour to get up by the time I finally did. I stretched and put on enough makeup so as not to scare anyone, and looking for electric lights shining through neighboring windows, I drove to the nearest Starbucks. "One tall hot green tea, please." The cheery girlish voice offered me three kinds and I chose the green ginger. It was tasty and stayed piping hot through the bank drive thru and to Costco for gas ($2.77). When I got back home - confound it ! - I saw that Duke Energy had responsibly been on the job. But I do appreciate the restful morning.

No comments: