Monday, November 19, 2007

Au revoir

Naturellement, Westins are known for their heavenly beds. They have perfectly determined the right mattress, pillows, linens and covers to make their clients sleep well, and that after all is generally why one stays at a hotel. And I love their "hydrating cream" (i.e. hand lotion) that has a wonderfully relaxing - possibly - lavender scent. But I think they took their elegant, somewhat Asian look too far. Too many medium neutrals can look depressing, someone needs to tell them. On the other hand, it is not stimulating, like dusk, and may prepare weary souls for the pleasurable beds. We left our packed bags at the concierge desk and walked into the Galleria mall in search of food. During the summer when I was there, the line at la Madeleine was so long that I went elsewhere. Today we waited and it was worth it. For my petit dejeuner, I chose egg crepe champignon because I liked the name. He got the French country breakfast. We shared a to die for cinnamon apple pastry that was drizzled with caramel icing. Great with my French coffee. We did not know when our next meal would be and ate heartily. Gee...I wish we had a la Madeleine around here. After walking once again past upscale shops with names such as Montblanc, Dior, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, and Burberry and spending a few unnecessary bucks ourselves, we picked up the bags and got a taxi to the airport. It was almost uneventful from there on. I suggest if you have a first class seat, try not to make it 1C, the one that is closest to the bathroom on a 747, or else have a book to hold in front of your face as if you are reading intensely. Some unpleasant odors may waft your way. Here is a picture of clouds and sky from high above the earth.

No comments: