Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What if?

I stopped on my way to work yesterday to drop my plastics off at the recycling center. There were no other cars, just a lone black man with a gimpy leg. As soon as I opened the door, I heard his loud voice call out, "Can I ask you something? Do you have any money for food?" I told him I needed to get my recyclables in the bin and then I would answer him. I gave it some thought as I unloaded my car, and when I had finished decided I would offer him the swiss on whole wheat I planned to have for supper as well as the biscotti for my afternoon coffee. As he stuffed them in his back pocket, he muttered, "I can't eat that," and then continued to ask for money. "Do you have a dollar? Fifty cents?" I got in my car and drove away. Probably most people who beg for handouts are not asking for what they really want, but I didn't want to take the chance. I would have felt awful if I left a hungry man out in the cold. I figure I have to live with myself.

No comments: