Monday, January 11, 2010

Flashback to Provence

As I was going through stuff today, I found an old issue of Bon Appetit whose cover read "Delicious Provence." Wishing I could someday go, I had placed it in a wicker picnic basket for safekeeping. Nine years later to the month my wish came true, and what a delicious experience it was for me. Maybe this issue from May 1999 would have been of more value before I actually went, but it was just great to flip through the pages and read about some of their good restaurants, one of which I remembered photographing, and seeing the pics though slightly faded of their freshly grown and exactingly prepared foods. There were brief articles explaining some of my unanswered questions like 1) what was that marvelous smelling tree whose blossoms were used for tea? and 2) what exactly is aioli? (It is actually spelled with two dots over the first i.) The magazine has about a hundred Provencal recipes and here is one of them. (I am going to try it eventually, and I want to know where to find it.)

Twice baked Almond Cookies (think biscotti)
or Croquants d'amandes

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons of honey
one tablespoon orange flower water
2 1/4 cups of whole almonds

Preheat oven to 425. Butter and flour 13 X 9 X 2 inch metal baking pan.

Sift flour and salt into medium bowl. Whisk sugar, eggs, honey, and orange water in a large bowl to blend well. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring just til blended. Add almonds. Spoon into prepared pan spreading batter so top will be smooth.

Bake til dough puffs and is pale golden, about 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Turn onto rack and let cool completely. Keep oven on.

Cut pastry crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips. Cut each strip diagonally into three pieces. Arrange cookies cut side down on two baking sheets. Bake until they are golden, about 14 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let them cool.

No comments: