Monday, August 17, 2009

What a life!

In the on-line teaser news this morning was an article whose title read "Well Paid Jobs That Won't Be Outsourced." My curiosity piqued, I read on. Up high on the list at number five was my profession specifically, psych nursing. And now that I am on the brink of retiring! It has been good work for me, but I would not recommend it for just anyone, only those who have a heart for it. It is all about observation, communication, acceptance, and flexibility.

We never know what we may be called upon to do. But this weekend it was not another challenging person to deal with but a new puppy that has come to live on the unit where I worked. (Some people believe it is therapeutic to have a dog around.) Daisy is playful and sweet dispositioned, but her bladder, like the rest of her, hasn't matured. So we had to take her out frequently. And we cleaned up after her when-our-backs-were turned destructiveness and punctuated our duties with puppy play. When I got home from work, my dog sniffed me up and down. He knew I had been unfaithful, and I felt like a cheating husband with lipstick on my collar.

Here is a picture of the new pup in one of her restful moments but still keeping one eye on things.

No comments: