Friday, August 28, 2009

Changing Through the Decades

  • When I was a child, I thought grown ups knew everything. They made all the big decisions, elected presidents, and had all the answers. Or so I thought.
  • As a new bride of nineteen, obviously an adult since I was married, I mistakenly thought I would be granted the wisdom I would need to step into their shoes, but it did not come.
  • Then in my twenties when my babies were calling to me for knowledge and guidance, I was overwhelmed, and tired from the joy and labors of the days. My ways went more with the culture of the times, an anything goes liberalism, rather than common sense.
  • In my thirties as I was beginning to feel like an adult woman, and after wearing out my poor brain with introspection and philosophising, I began to figure out a few things.
  • In my forties as my life changed, I grew from experience, observation, and many insightful moments.
  • By my fifties, after many troubles, toils and snares, I finally got a good head on my shoulders.
  • Now that I am fully grown and settled comfortably in my sixties (some of us are slow), I get it. I am ready to take on the mantle of responsible, mature adult. If anyone cares.

No comments: