Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A movie review sort of

I dashed out to see Julie and Julia as soon as it hit the big screen and it did not disappoint. Because it is a Nora Ephron work, I related on many levels besides blogging and cooking, and in the dark I knowingly smiled or laughed throughout. There are not enough good words to say about Meryl Streep's acting abilities. She was superb as Julia. And Amy Adams was adorable as Julie. When I looked on line however, I was a bit disappointed to find the real writer a bit more crass than the cute movie portrayal of her. Such is life...

"Back in the day" Mastering the Art of French Cooking seemed overwhelming and too meaty to me and never found its way to my kitchen, but now I see what I have missed. C'est dommage pour moi. One lesson learned from the movie is that Julia Child worked for eight years on this hugely successful book, testing, perfecting, and I think I read it is now in its forty-ninth printing. It supports the saying that "anything worth doing is worth doing well." And whatever is done well does seem to last.

No comments: