Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Home Stretch

Five years ago when I reached my sixtieth birthday I had a heady sense of accomplishment. I realized I had trudged through the challenges of each past day and had made it this far. I had raised my children to adulthood. I had paid every bill that had come my way. I had done my job. It was one of those mountaintop experiences, and I was looking down at my past life experiences on one side and the blank but sunny plateau of the future on the other. All I could say was wow as if it were a complete surprise. I think I had been so busy I didn't know it was coming. I have often thought that when we are born it would be nice if, like a carton of yogurt, we would have an expiration date printed on our feet. Planning would be so much easier! But God chose not to give that bit of info to us. We can assume, project, and hope for our future, but we don't know beyond the moment we are in. However most of us do find ourselves as "seniors" eventually, and I must say, I still find it pretty cool. Being only days away from my sixty-fifth year on Planet Earth gives me an unexplainable feeling of freedom and lightness. I am glad I have made it this far.

1 comment:

Judith said...

I am certainly glad you have made it this far, too!! I hope your birthday celebration is special!! I think we met at the age of 10...so it has been a long journey from there to now.....from lunchroom tickets to Medicare cards!! We have many more roads to travel, my friend! Let's stay in good health!!