Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Not an impulse buy

There were several produce stands that advertised "Delicious Sweet Bogue Sound Watermelons" while we were vacationing. Naturally I wanted to get one and see for myself, so we stopped to shop on the way out. And yes it - an old fashioned oval one with black seeds - is delicious. There were other items for sale there too, locally grown veggies, homemade jams and baked items, and a stack of dishcloths that someone had crocheted that sparked a connection back to my childhood. I bought the blue and green one on the right side in the middle. I had to. When I was nine or so, I had a small square pot holder loom and lots of those colorful loops. That summer I entertained myself by making potholders, one after another. Fortunately there was a small grocery store up the street that kindly agreed to sell some for me. I was thrilled when I knew that someone had actually paid a quarter for my work of art! Not that I was dying to have a crocheted dishcloth on Monday, but I wondered if the fingers that made these were a little girl's and if she would be as happy as I was long ago when I got paid for a potholder.

No comments: