Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Watching Dragonflies

Jacob seems to have the opinion that I am a little over the top about my dragonflies. It's just that I am more of a city girl, and though I knew dragonflies existed, I had never really seen them before. I told him when he gets to be my age, he can be eccentric about something of his own choosing. I think I have only two dragonflies, both with turquoise eyes and a blue thorax (a blue dasher), but one with a blue abdomen and one with a black abdomen. (I learned the body parts on line.) I have never seen them together, but for the past week, I have been seeing one or the other perched atop a decaying iris flower or a stiff leaf near my driveway. I can spot their iridescent wings from a distance. Dragonflies are carnivores, and I think the sunny location is where they can best find spiders. I have enjoyed taking pictures of them. They actually will let me get close and seem to pose. Sometimes they zip up and away, and in awe I watch their aerial maneuvers and landings back on their helipad. If I haven't been able to get great photos, it is my fault. They have given me many opportunities.

No comments: