Sunday, July 5, 2009

Perennials. Gotta love 'em.

My neighbor was having some work done in his yard a couple of months ago, and I recognized a couple of perennials that would soon find themselves in the compost heap. Oh no - I said to myself. What a waste! "May I have these," trying not to sound as if I were begging. He is not a gardener and did not know their potential or want to mess with moving them, so - OK. So I took the two piles of dirt with green sprouts to my messy backyard, planted and watered them, and now the perennials are blooming.
This yellow one is butterfly weed, asclepsia. I haven't seen any butterflies on it so far, but the bees and other insects sure like it. Here is some sort of fly on a little bud.Here is a balloon flower, platycodon, which is pretty and delicate in its pre-opening puffy state and still lovely when the bloom opens as in this picture.

No comments: