Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Really Big Talent Show

In about thirty minutes I will settle into an hour of television. American Idol will be on, and with a critical eye and ear, I will be tuned in. No doubt I will dance along to the beat of the fast songs, measure my opinions against the judges comments, and piddle during the long commercials. I love a talent show and apparently the rest of the world does, too. AI has been the top rated show for a while, and Britain's Talent has been overly spotlighted in the trendy cyber news. Maybe we have to relate to something to really enjoy it, to put ourselves in that place. When I was growing up, way back before technology ruled our culture, we girls would often entertain ourselves by putting on talent shows. And I loved the real talent shows in school, when we would practice hard and then sing our solos or group numbers. I was not blessed with a good singing voice, but I did love music and, though self conscious, tried to warble or screech the best I could. In my forties I worked with a girl who sang with a rock group and was also taking voice lessons. During our lunches together, she tried to pass along to me what she had learned. I took my lessons seriously, and every afternoon when I got home, practiced my singing for one disciplined hour. Who knew when I would be asked to perform! I did find that it is possible to develop a small amount of talent, but also that it goes quickly when not used. So the question is...Am I the only one who sees myself on that stage singing my heart out?

No comments: