Saturday, April 25, 2009

Elvis lives on

I learned a little more about the King of Rock and Roll today thanks to satellite radio. All Elvis all the time. How good is that! I learned that when Elvis was a toddler he would run down the church aisle and try to join the choir, and that after he was famous, he would keep on singing after performances, mostly gospel songs. That man loved to sing! And what an amazing voice and range he had. We heard an hour of gospel songs in honor of his mother's birthday and brief interviews with people who knew him. We heard songs from the young Elvis and the fat Elvis. We heard him sing soulfully in his low register and rock out in his high, but we never heard Surrender, my favorite Elvis song. This girl was smitten with him way beyond his swiveling hips, smoky eyes and that dark haired curl. It was his voice that was magic. I wasn't quite a teenager when Hound Dog came out. After listening to it at least three times today I can see why it was such a huge hit. The energy grabs us from the first vocal sound. I listened to him singing so much that I wondered...was there anything he didn't sing? I think he would have gotten good reviews from the Idol judges. "You took that and made it your own dawg." The King lives!

No comments: