Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hired to Care

Since I became a nurse in 1985 I have worked steadily and faithfully, but have had to adapt in certain ways to keep it fresh and interesting and to keep me caring. Adding teaching, which will start back soon, to my work schedule has been one of those ways to energize myself as well as to talk with new nurses about caring, that most necessary professional value. Personally I think if a nurse starts to lose it that she should move to a place where she can care or get out. Today I return to work after being off for a few days and I am getting my head in gear, revving up for what awaits me. There will be some needy people who must be cared for, and I must care enough to provide their care. I also must care enough about my employer, the hand that feeds me, to do and be what is expected of me. And I must care enough about myself to get away, to allow time for renewal and keeping up personal relationships. Like most things, caring is a balance. It was good to have last week away from the workplace and when I go back today, I should be ready to do my work of caring.

No comments: