Thursday, August 14, 2008

The BLT and Beyond

What would summer be without delicious bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches? In spring when the new tomato seedlings are tapped in the ground, my mouth is already watering for what will follow. I love the basic bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich but find that varying it is just as yummy. Broccoli sprouts were added to the chopped lettuce here, and I used big juicy slabs of tomatoes since I have plenty. A little smear of chipotle sauce gave it some zing. Sometimes I like a straight veggie sandwich with cream cheese or a soft bleu cheese as the spread. Thin slices of cucumbers and red onion, grated carrot, sliced avocado, spinach leaves, and any other fresh vegetable you like can be used. My current favorite store bought bread is Healthy Multi Grain by Arnold, which is seen here. Soft white bread just doesn't have the power to hold a good meal in its grip.

No comments: