Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Grand Girls

Seven year old, brown eyed Caroline is visiting me this week while her mother prepares for another year of teaching. We are finally getting to spend some time together, just the two of us - and the television. She seems to like the fact that she can get the Disney Channel, Nick, Raven, Zack and Cody, and whatever else is for kids better than anything else I have to offer. In spite of that, I know just how important grandmothers can be. My own joyful and courageous Mama who, if anyone lived to be a vibrant 118 anymore, would be celebrating her birthday today. When I was Caroline's age I couldn't have dreamed that I would become the grandmother one day and would someday be reaching into my memory bank for what Mama had taught me. Maybe tomorrow I will get Caroline away from the television and we'll each sip on a 6 ounce bottled Coke while I tell her about the old days.

No comments: