Thursday, February 11, 2010

Moving on . . .

I am glad I wasn’t here to see it go. Yesterday when I got home there was a void in the house, a bare spot against the wall where the piano once stood. Though I had this piano only about fifteen years it had several reasons to be special, and last week, knowing I would never be playing it again, let my fingers stumble across the keys once more as I made my way through some old sheet music most signed on top with my maiden name. The piano has sat unused for several years now, being played only when the grandchildren came. Jacob learned to play Heart and Soul on it, and the girls bunched together on the bench making lovely tinkly sounds. No more. I always thought every home needed a piano, that like books, they add warmth, character and stability to a home’s environment. But at this stage of our lives, we plan to pare down, move to a smaller place, and for me, a piano is not a necessity. Character will have to express itself in another way. It is one more thing I have let go of. I hope it will be loved and used in the little church that will be its new home.

No comments: