Monday, February 15, 2010

Comin fo to carry me

Languages are always changing. Each year old words are deleted from the dictionary and new ones are added. Sometimes cultures unofficially adopt phrases and words from other groups because they seem to work. Here in my part of the South many of us white folks now regularly use some expressions we picked up from our black neighbors such as the word “passed” when someone has died. Some of us used to say “pass away” but not just plain “pass.” I suppose when we die we do pass from one life to another. Another word I have heard often is “blessed” as in “Have a blessed day,” which is a sweet phrase. As a result of liking it, I now tend to think of my blessings and use the word more often. Years ago we picked up “Ain’t no big thing” from music and are used to hearing “dawg” thanks to Randy Jackson. “Dis” is a simple word for talking trash about somebody else. (Talking trash?) And I have started referring to my ex-husband as my "baby daddy.” What a rich collection of words we share.

No comments: