Monday, March 23, 2009

the ZZZs

There have been many love songs written about sleep and dreams. A very old favorite of mine was "Deep in a Dream" that I learned from my mother. Another was Deep Purple . . . .when the deep purple falls over sleepy garden walls. I start yawning when I hear it. It's a real trigger for sleep.

In a short while I will be sleeping. Some of the hints for "sleep hygiene" are not to eat during the few hours before you hit the sack. Better to sleep without a full tummy. And definitely do not play computer games and especially spider solitaire at night because the light from the monitor excites your brain and then it wants to go on and keep playing. In general turn off lights and sounds except for peaceful refrains and let your body and mind enter the rest mode. Then it is time to let go of the day. All that was accomplished is past. There will be expectations for the next day but you can handle them. Start thinking peaceful thoughts and soft lullabies. Keep the lights dim and your clothes soft and warm. My eyes are getting heavy and I begin to enter that place where my friends Wynken, Blynken, and Nod live. What a lovely retreat sleep takes us to. here i go...zzz

No comments: