Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Social History

Today I'd like to comment on the inadequacies of our current prez and on his increasingly evident narcissism that pre-election was referred to as malignant, but since I am perplexed as to what I can do about it, I don't know where to start. Like most Americans I am just living out my life.

When I was a student and sitting in history classes, I used to wonder what else the people were doing during these eras of upheaval and war, because history lessons just seemed to go from war to war, to dictators and kings, with only a few years in between. (I remember that because of all the dates I had to memorize.) I wondered...how did the world continue to move along and populate itself in spite of all the "change"? How did the women manage through the bloodshed, loss and violence? How did they live their lives? What did they look like, these people of long ago?

Today we are in actual military wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but we are also engaged in cultural and political wars within our own boundaries. It is a difficult time as some of those who currently have the power to bring about "change" seem to be hell bent on taking power away from the individual citizen and putting it in their own hands, the defiant hands of a seemingly immoral central government. I believe most Americans oppose this ideology. And we have conflict within our own American minds as we try to sort through the info that is fed to us, what our eyes see, and what our spirits respond to.

Now I know that life goes on during times of turmoil and transitions. People continue to fall in love, listen to music, work, change clothing styles, learn new things, and all that is a part of history also. I suppose as change - a word that now implies bad tidings - comes, our social lives will also change and that will be a history lesson unto itself.

No comments: