Saturday, February 28, 2009

Win a few, lose a few

Darn that Spider Solitaire. It keeps capturing me in its web. Just one more game. Play til I win. The perfect game. Is this how crack addicts feel? Oh yes...I've talked to others so I know I am not the only one to suffer an addiction to this devilish game that first came with Windows 98. (Thanks but no thanks, Bill Gates.) If you have never played Spider before, just say no. Do not click on that first card!

As I was contemplating moves this morning, I figured out perhaps one reason Spider has us in its spell; it emulates life. We are dealt a hand and must make the best of it. Sometimes we play the wrong card, and though we don't know it at the time, it can affect the rest of the game. And same is true when we play the right card. We cannot look under the deck to see the next deal just as we cannot look into the future, but we are met with enough success to keep us going. If I lost every game, I would give up in disgust and despair. If I won every game, it would be too easy and the challenge would be lost. It is about choices and struggles, victory and defeat. Such is life...

No comments: