Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Good Day for a Smoothie

Since the trauma and pain I experienced at the hands of the sadistic, adolescent endodontist yesterday, I have been trying to treat myself as a sweet mama would treat a sick child. For starters I let myself sleep/rest in bed til my stomach cried feed me. Then I dragged out the blender and made a delicious smoothie from plain yogurt, a small banana, frozen red berries, fresh blueberries, flax seed, and a smidgen of the comfort food called heavy cream. I took it back to bed with me and sipped while I watched Emeril. Yummy.

But I was a smoothie maker way back when, before smoothies were cool, before they were even called smoothies. Just ask my children. It all started with an old fashioned Orange Julius made with frozen concentrated OJ, ice, milk of some sort, a bit of sugar and some vanilla. They are really delicious and trick your stomach into thinking you have eaten a meal. Later I dabbled with other fruit "smoothies" as well as coffee/chocolate iced blender drinks, and most turned out pretty well. I figure the challenge is getting the consistency you like.

For today, my poor sore mouth appreciated the soothing drinks.

No comments: