Thursday, February 12, 2009

Basic Training

Back in 1986 I took the "fighting class" for the first time. I came home sore and tired and was both in awe of and angry at the nurse who had all the moves down pat and practiced them on me. Maybe the word got out that we didn't need to feel beaten up to complete the training because now there is more teaching via words, and the physical moves are more fake than actual. This morning I did not have to put put someone in a real full nelson or try to get out of one. Nor did I have to feel the pain of a pressure point just know where they are located.

The hospital governing bodies require certain employees, those of us in psych and the ER primarily, to take a yearly class in managing aggressive behavior. When behavioral emergencies erupt, and because of psychosis or choice they do, we are supposed to be educated to handle them without injuring ourselves or someone else. No problem, I usually just tuck tail and run. At least I do if I can get away with it. Otherwise I have to do a Miss Piggy. (I will save that for another post.) My genes do not have a code for combat. Besides that, I figure prevention is the best policy.

No comments: