Sunday, December 21, 2008

One for her, one for me

I am not the zealous shopper I once was. Since I don't have the responsibility of clothing, feeding or housing anyone but myself - well almost - I don't roam the aisles of any kind of store looking for necessities or bargains as I once did. I need relatively little and find that if I do need something, it can wait, sometimes perhaps until I have forgotten about it. I must admit that I come close to admiring the way I have intentionally drifted into economical prudence.

When it comes to Christmas shopping though, I shift my thinking. Since I am not wise enough to shop early, I am out the week before the big day joyfully fighting traffic, searching racks and shelves, standing in lines and thinking really hard. Shopping for others gets me going, but while I am out fortuitous events occur. I see things that I really want for myself! This year I have bought myself a nice lightweight pair of earrings that I will be wearing everyday. And when I saw a cool device that will turn old photograph slides and negatives into digital prints, I knew it was something I had to have. (I will pass it on to Rob if he would like it.) Merry Christmas to me! I won't be returning anything.

No comments: