Sunday, December 28, 2008

Children

Though I was barely out of my teens, I suppose I was following nature's call when I desired above all to be a mother. And so it was. Blessed I was to have four wonderful sons. During my pregnancies I felt I couldn't wait to see what they looked like! What color hair would they have? And eyes? And how tall and how smart? Later when smack dab in the middle of those child rearing years, the full days seemed to pass slowly as if life would always be that way. But time does not stand still for long. Now that they are fully grown men, having passed the trials of the teens and the tasks of younger adulthood, they have become what they were meant to be, what I wondered about many years ago. Yes...tall, blue eyed and of a certain character, but there is more. When I put aside my busyness, and if I watch and listen, I see my hands and my heart working through them. As they help to rear their children and engage in loving relationships, they pass along pieces of me perhaps without even realizing it. And so it goes, generation after generation.

No comments: