Thursday, September 18, 2008

The yard is in transition

On Saturday, Stuart and Jacob came to visit and work in the yard. They did such a great job that I can't call it a backyard jungle anymore. Stuart pulled honeysuckle and ivy off the fence, transplanted a little cedar and an aucuba suckling, and dug a hole for a pear tree that will be planted in a couple of months. (I ordered it today.) Jacob cut the tall grass and Stuart mowed back over it again. The tree guy trimmed lower branches from the oaks and carted away all the limbs and other yard waste. Now after a soaking rain this week, I am left with a yard blossoming with mounds of buttery looking mushrooms. A couple of years ago, I was into taking pictures of mushrooms and got in close to get macros of their gills. Hence I learned what mushrooms smell like. Tonight the whole back yard has that not totally unpleasant musty odor. I figure the yard is trying to reestablish its ecosystem and I will let it. Eleven years ago when we moved here, it had been untouched and was full of trees, mostly sweet gums and their sticky balls. As we had them removed and raked the layers of natural mulch, various weeds came and proliferated, taking their places. Now I think the yard is finally begin to come into its own and I can envision a lovely place someday.

No comments: