Sunday, May 8, 2011

Wisdom from Mother

A Happy Mother's Day to all of us Mothers. It may have been started for commercial reasons, but since it is the most important job in the world, why not have a day that recognizes it.

I think the best thing my mother gave me was the frequent reminder to have fun. While other mothers were giving their daughters rules on how to conduct themselves on dates and when to be home, mine sent me off with a wave and the words, "Just have fun!" Since she had raised me right, she knew there was no need for any last minute advice. Through the years, the admonition has served me well, and I think I have found more fun in life than people who had stern or serious parents.

When going through a troubling time, Mother often said, “This too shall pass,” therefore I learned to think the same way. The little saying helps me keep things in perspective, because after all, nothing lasts forever, neither the good nor the bad.

She sometimes quoted, “I complained that I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet.” It is a reminder that things could always get worse and to deal with what I have.

Mother believed that we should always have something to look forward to, and I have learned that if I do, it really makes a difference in my attitude !

Thank you, Mother, for your legacy.

No comments: