Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Psalms

I am hoping to pick up more biblical knowledge and insight before my trip to Jerusalem in November so I have been reading through the Holy Book. Right now I am stuck in Psalms and don’t want to leave. It is such a wonderful collection of expressions of human experiences and emotions. David and the others wrote about desperation and distress, thanksgiving and praise, fear and hope, pleadings and gratitude, comfort and deliverance, pain and joy, heartbreak and repentance, strength and weakness, estrangement and redemption. No wonder it is suggested reading to people who are hurting.

In Psalm 73: "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 139 with its phrases such as “You formed my inward parts. You wove me together in my mother’s womb” is especially awesome. I am going to have to revisit this book later if I am going to achieve my goal.

No comments: