Tuesday, May 24, 2011

An Easy Summer Meal

At ten o'clock this morning, I had done all my kitchen duties for the day. I knew it was going to be a hot one, and I planned ahead by making a pasta salad for supper. The first I heard of them was probably in the late sixties when we basically substituted cold cooked macaroni in what would have otherwise been a potato salad. Now it can be a full meal with our protein of choice, an assortment of vegetables, and enough of a tasty binder to keep it loosely together. Whatever we like. For today's version I mixed some tuna, on hand raw cut up veggies (broccoli, celery, red onion, red pepper, sliced mushrooms, finely grated carrots for sweetness and color), sun dried tomatoes, frozen tiny peas, grated parmesan, Italian seasoning and salt. For the dressing ingredients I added lemon juice and apple cider vinegar (because it is good for us), olive oil, and mayo. You can keep it simple and use a bottled dressing. Then I stirred in some cooked (and cooled a little) bow tie pasta. I love a good cold pasta salad.

1 comment:

Damara said...

My kids love tuna pasta salad. I agree with you--it's great bc it can all be done in advance.