Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ringing Those Bells

It is Christmastime and the Salvation Army bell ringers are out in force. I think it's a great idea. Kids can drop change in the red kettles or generous grown ups can put folded bills through the slot. Little by little maybe they get enough money to fund some of their good causes during the year. When I pass the ringers, I try to notice what they are like. Some are quiet and just stand and swing the bell. Others greet the public and make conversation as if they love what they are doing. Today I had to go to the Kmart across from the hospital, and its ringer was an cherubic, old black woman who sang Winter Wonderland as the shoppers passed by on this bitingly cold afternoon. As I started singing along under my breath that old Christmas spirit welled up in me. Christmas is a good time for giving.

No comments: