Friday, June 11, 2010

Life was simpler then.

I have been waiting for repairmen today, but now I find they won't be here til next week. If it were fifty or so years ago, I wouldn't have either of these problems. My gas dryer has been broken for two weeks, tumbling but not heating, and I am still awaiting word on the needed part. And the air conditioning upstairs is struggling to operate but can't seem to get going. Back when I was a girl, everything, underwear and all, was hung on the clothesline to dry. During a hot day like today, they wouldn't have to flap in the breeze long at all before they were taken down and folded. And air conditioning? It was to be found under a shade tree with a cold glass of lemonade. And we just dealt with the hot night times. Life is different and faster now. Dryers and air conditioning have been necessities for decades. But are we really happier or having more fun?

No comments: