Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Getting it done

Fortunately the painter showed up today about noon and spared me the frustration of having to do the room myself. I had bought paint the color of desert wind at Lowe's on Monday and was ready. He brought in his stuff, a plush roller as soft as my black cat, an old comforter that he spread out on the floor, and some man tools. In his soft drawl he politely asked if we had a radio. Sure. I also like to listen to music when I have a big job to do and brought it upstairs for him. First he had some prep work to do, removing shelf brackets, patching holes large and small, and sanding, which I helped with in part to observe his work. We spread putty and sanded as 102.5 played "Sexual Healing" and other old songs with semi-suggestive lyrics. I figured I didn't know him well enough to groove along and excused myself to do some work in the kitchen. Before long, he was pulling the brush along the moulding with finesse, and eventually applied two coats on the expanse of walls. About seven pm we three were sitting at the table eating pizza. Mission accomplished.

The last painter I had was Wonder Woman who with a bucket of paint in her left hand and a big brush in her right, and zipping up and down ladders, and using no drop cloth because she didn't drop drips, could have had the entire room done in two hours and charged me half the price. But she was nowhere to be found. There was no comparison. While I was thankful for today's painter, I wasn't awed as I had been by Wonder Woman a few years ago. Nevertheless he is willing to help us move and paint any new house we may find in Wilmington. I just may take him up on it.

No comments: