Thursday, March 4, 2010

What's Behind the Door?

This Six Panel Colonial Door has an interesting history. As I was admiring the new paint job today, I thought I remembered a little of the story, that it represented the cross in the top four panels. However until I looked it up to verify what I had heard, I didn't know that the bottom panels represented a Bible, that it is also called a Christian door, and that it indicated a "safe house" in Colonial times. The design served a practical purpose as well. When doors were handcrafted or even made of wood in factories, and I guess they still are, the panels and frame allowed for expansion and contraction during the weather changes. Now many doors are molded or hollow core, but they have still have the good looking, popular design with a history.

1 comment:

Judith said...

How interesting!! You learn something new almost every day. The door, by the way, looks great! The painter did a wonderful job of renewing the life of that door.