Saturday, November 28, 2009

Dressing for Germany

In a little over a week I will be leaving for Germany, and I have done little to get myself ready. Ho hum . . . My anxiety level has been nil compared to my solo trip to France last year, but one of the benefits of anxiety is that it can prod me into being prepared. My traveling partner Kathy is an experienced traveler and has been to Munich and Salzburg several times, and I am relying on her. Still I am responsible for getting my own appropriate clothes. Expecting cold and slushy weather in Bavaria in the middle of December, I have known for some time I will at least need a new pair of boots and a down jacket, the recommended attire. Today I had some time to shop.

On this busy shopping day following Black Friday, I went to a locally owned Outfitter place that was abuzz with athletic young people who seemed to know all about hiking and cycling clothing. I had no idea what I was looking for, but I knew I had to get something warm and get it fast. The sales girl, the knowledgeable proprietor in fact, was wonderful and taught me many facts about fabrics, how close they need to be to my body, what to layer, how she hoped I wasn't taking anything cotton (all I wear), and how not to look like an American tourist, or "target," she explained further. I tried on a lightweight down jacket that wrapped me in warmth as soon as I put it on. She swore it was not too tight, in fact it was stunning and made me look eighteen again (so I made that up). It is an atypical look for me, which is a good thing, but mainly I hope it will keep me from freezing. It also squeezes into a tiny bundle and will be great in my luggage, making room for shopping purchases. I also bought a long underwear type top that fits like another layer of skin. Together they cost a pretty penny! Now I have only to get some traveling shoes, hopefully some really cool boots that I will love, and I will be ready to go.

No comments: