Sunday, November 1, 2009

A small education from a trick-or-treater

Thank goodness Halloween is over and my basket of treats is empty. Usually I wait until the day before to buy the candy as I cannot trust myself around it, but this year the ads for good prices on the snack sized Milky Ways and M&Ms made me forget. I am disciplined in many ways but not with chocolate and have overindulged once again. Even when I buy yucky old suckers or fruity candies, it seems there is always chocolate candy lying in wait somewhere for me. The last of Halloween visitors last night were two boys about twelve years old who were dressed in some sort of homemade pirate garb. After dropping the last of my candy in their sacks, I asked them how the night was going. The articulate young fellow said they were doing quite well, that they get a lot when they go late. In grandmotherly fashion I warned them against eating too much and getting sick. (I was feeling a bit queasy myself.) But - oh no. “This will last me for months. I only eat two a day.” After telling him several times how I admire his discipline, I slunk back in from the porch, vowing to remember him as a good example.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admire your resolution to moderate your consumption of chocolates; however, in case of emergency, come to Gero around 3 p.m. when the miniature Reese's pieces, Hersheys and other goodies appear as if by magic........and they call my name!
Pat